Physician License Lookup
Listed below is a summary of the information that can be found on the physician’s record. However, please be aware that the law authorizes the Board to only post specified information on the physician’s profile for 10 years.
If the physician has or had been:
- Disciplined or formally accused of wrongdoing by the Medical Board of California.
- Temporarily restricted or suspended from practice pursuant to a court order.
- Disciplined by a medical board of another state or federal government agency.
- Convicted of a felony.
- Convicted of a misdemeanor that resulted in an accusation being filed by the Board (after January 1, 2007).
- Issued a citation by the Board within the last five years.
- Issued a public letter of reprimand at time of licensure.
- Privileges to provide health care services terminated or revoked at a health care facility.
- A malpractice judgment or arbitration award reported to the Board.
- Malpractice settlements over $30,000 reported to the Board that meet the following criteria:
- Four or more in a 10-year period if the physician practices in a high-risk specialty (obstetrics, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery and neurological surgery).
- Three or more in a 10-year period if practicing in a low-risk specialty (all other specialties).
Under California law, the following information would NOT appear on a record if applicable to the physician:
- Complaints made to the Medical Board of California
- Investigations conducted by the Medical Board of California
- Misdemeanor convictions that occurred prior to January 1, 2007 or did not result in the filing of an accusation by the Board
- Medical malpractice cases that do not meet the criteria above, e.g., pending or dismissed cases. This information may be available at the local county courthouse in the "Civil Index." Click here for California Superior Court contact information.
All information provided by the Medical Board of California on this Web page, and on its other Web pages and Internet sites, is made available to provide immediate access for the convenience of interested persons. While the Board believes the information to be reliable, human or mechanical error remains a possibility, as does delay in the posting or updating of information. Therefore, the Board makes no guarantee as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, currency, or correct sequencing of the information. Neither the Board, nor any of the sources of the information, shall be responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the use or results obtained from the use of this information. Other specific cautionary notices may be included on other Web pages maintained by the Board. All access to and use of this Web page and any other Web page or Internet site of the Board is governed by the Disclaimers and Conditions for Access and Use as set forth at California Department of Consumer Affairs' Disclaimer Information and Use Information.