Frequently Asked Questions

Below are the top FAQs for the Board. Have a different question? Search the FAQs by keyword or filter by topic. If you still haven't found your answer, contact the Board's Consumer Information Unit for assistance.

Search All FAQs

Select a Topic

Frequently Asked Questions

Polysomnographic Trainee, Technician, or Technologist Application for Registration

What are the qualifications for registration as a Polysomnographic Trainee?

  1. You must have either:
    1. A High school diploma or GED plus 6 months of supervised direct polysomnographic patient care experience; or
    2. Be currently enrolled in an approved polysomnographic education program.
  2. You must possess at the time of application a current certificate in Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association or the American Safety and Health Institute.

What are the qualifications for registration as a Polysomnographic Technician?

  1. You must have successfully completed an approved polysomnographic education program. You must submit a copy of your transcript and certificate of completion;
  2. You must possess a minimum of 6 months of experience as a Registered Polysomnographic Trainee; and
  3. You must possess at the time of application a current certificate in Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association or the American Safety and Health Institute.

What are the qualifications for registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist?

  1. You must have valid, current credentials as a Polysomnographic Technologist issued by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT). The certificate is issued by BRPT once you have taken and passed the Registered Polysomnographic Technologist Exam (RPSGT); and
  2. You must have graduated from a polysomnographic educational program approved by the Board. You must submit a copy of your transcript and certificate of completion.
  3. You must possess at the time of application a current certificate in Basic Life Support issued by the American Heart Association or the American Safety and Health Institute.

What is an approved polysomnography education program?

An approved polysomnographic education program means:

  1. A polysomnographic education program accredited either by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (“CAAHEP”) or by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care;
  2. A sleep technologist program accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine; or
  3. A sleep technologist program approved by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.

What certification exam is approved for registration as a Technologist?

The Registered Polysomnographic Technologist Certification Exam (RPSGT) offered by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists is the only exam approved by the Board for purposes of qualifying a polysomnographic technologist for registration.

What are the costs related to registration?

There are two fees involved in the registration process:

  1. The Application Fee is $120. This fee must be paid before the review of your application can begin.
  2. The Registration Fee is $120. The Registration Fee must be paid before a registration can be issued.

If applying by mail, once your application is reviewed, the fee must be paid prior to issuance.

If applying online, you must pay BOTH the Application and Registration Fee at the time of submission.

What do I receive from the Board as proof of registration?

You will receive a wall certificate from the Board approximately 2-4 weeks from the date your registration was issued.

How long is my registration valid?

Upon approval of your application file and payment of the initial registration fee, your registration will be issued and will be valid for a full 24-month period.

How much is the renewal fee?

The renewal fee is $150.

What is the process if I have already been issued a registration and I want to upgrade my registration once I have passed the RPSGT exam?

You must submit a new registration application and a new application fee, along with your current basic life support certificate. It is not necessary to resubmit your fingerprints.

If you are upgrading your registration from a trainee to a technician, you must submit a copy of your transcript and certificate of completion from an approved Polysomnographic education program.

If you are upgrading your registration from a technician to a technologist, you must submit your credentials as a Polysomnographic Technologist issued by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT).

What are the time frames for getting a registration?

Please allow up to 30 days for review of your registration application.

Can I pay an extra fee to have my application expedited?

The Board reviews applications in the order in which they are received. No options are available to expedite the review of your application. When deciding when to apply, please allow sufficient time for all your documents to be received and reviewed by the Board.

What constitutes a “submitted application?”

An application is considered “submitted” when the Board has received:

  1. All applicable fees;
  2. A complete Application Form; and
  3. Fingerprints.

How can I find out if the Board has received or reviewed my documents?

Upon initial review of your application you will be notified of any deficient items. Following initial review please allow 2 weeks to process additional documents submitted before contacting the Board.

How will I know if there are missing documents or other issues with my application?

You will be notified via letter or email if there are any missing documents or other issues with your application.

What are the benefits of submitting my application online?

Submitting an application online allows you to pay the fee with a credit card.

Please note that you must have an SSN or ITIN to create an online account through BreEZe, the Department of Consumer Affairs online license system. If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, you will be required to submit your application by mail.

If I apply online, do I still have to mail in a signed and notarized copy of my application with my picture?

Yes; if you submit your application online, you must still mail in the Applicant Declaration, Signature & Notary page of the registration application (page 4), with your photo attached, to the Board.

What if I move or change my name after I have submitted my application?

If you move after you have submitted your application, you must submit an Applicant Address Change Request Form. This form can be faxed or mailed to the Board.

If you change your name after you have submitted an application, you must submit a signed Notification of Name Change form, along with a photocopy or electronic copy of a current government-issued photographic identification (e.g., driver license, alien registration, passport, etc.) and one of the following legal documents as proof of the name change:

  • Marriage Certificate;
  • Dissolution of marriage (divorce); or
  • Certified Court Order.
The form and supporting documents must be mailed to the Board.

Can I call or email my analyst if I have questions or want to check on my application’s status?

You may call or email your analyst, however, you may not receive a response for several days while the analyst researches your question. Please be patient and do not leave multiple messages regarding the same issue. In addition, please note that the Board’s analysts have a heavy application load and each call or email takes away from time available to review applications and documents. You will be notified if there are any missing documents or issues with your application.

How long do I have to complete the application process?

You have one year from the date your application was received by the Board to complete the requirements for registration. Applications that are incomplete after one year are considered abandoned and a new application and new fees must be submitted.

Do I have to get fingerprinted?

Yes. In California, the process is completed using Live Scan, which is an electronic fingerprinting process. To use Live Scan, take the preprinted Live Scan form to a scanning site. When using Live Scan, the Board does not charge a processing fee, however, the scanning site may charge a "rolling fee". All required fees must be paid at the time of service. Once the scanning process is complete, the Live Scan operator will give you parts 2 and 3 of the form. It is your responsibility to send the Board a copy of the form along with your application.

Your prints will be sent to both the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to search for any criminal history. Out-of-state applicants can submit the traditional paper fingerprint cards or come to California to use Live Scan.

I don’t live in California; how can I get paper fingerprint cards?

If you live out of state, once you have submitted your application and fees, the Board will automatically send fingerprint cards to you. If you have already submitted your fees and application but have not yet received the fingerprint cards, you may contact the Board’s Consumer Information Unit at 1-800-633-2322 to request that they be mailed to you.

If you submit paper fingerprint cards to the Board, you must also include a $49 processing fee (payable to the Board).

I already have been fingerprinted previously; can the Medical Board access those prints?

No. Federal law allows a criminal records report to be released only to the agency that requested it. You will need to undergo the fingerprinting and criminal history check process again specifically for the Medical Board. Exception: If you are upgrading from a trainee to a technician or a technician to a technologist you do not have to be fingerprinted again.

What happens if I fail to disclose pertinent information on my application?

As an applicant, you are personally responsible for all information disclosed on your application, including any responses that may have been completed on your behalf by others. An application may be denied based upon omission, falsification or misrepresentation of any item or response on the application or any attachment. The Board considers violations of an ethical nature to be a serious breach of professional conduct.

Who Can Supervise Polysomnographic Registrants?

Physicians and surgeons who supervise registrants must hold a valid California license and either:

  1. Possess a current certification or subspecialty certification or is eligible for such a certification in sleep medicine by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM); or
  2. Hold active staff membership at a sleep center or laboratory accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine or by the Joint Commission.

The supervising physician cannot supervise more than eight (8) polysomnographic technologists at any one time. Moreover, the supervising physician cannot supervise more than a total of eight (8) polysomnographic technicians and/or trainees at any one time. If a supervising physician is not physically present on the premises, a supervising polysomnographic technologist or other licensed healthcare professional (registered nurse, physician assistant or respiratory care practitioner who possesses a current California license) must be physically present on the premises and available to the polysomnographic technician and/or trainee.

A supervising polysomnographic technologist and their supervising physician must establish written guidelines for the adequate supervision by the technologist of the polysomnographic technicians and trainees. This requirement may be satisfied by the supervising physician adopting protocols for some or all of the tasks performed by the technicians and trainees. The protocols must be signed and dated by the supervising physician and the polysomnographic technologist. The delegation of procedures to a registrant or other licensed health care professional does not relieve the supervising physician of primary continued responsibility for the welfare of the patient.

When can I expect to receive my renewal application?

Renewal applications are sent by U.S. Mail to the registrant's address of record approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date of a registration. If you do not receive a renewal application two months prior to your registration expiration date, contact the Board at (916) 263-2382 or (800) 633-2322 to request a duplicate renewal application. To ensure timely receipt of renewal applications, always keep the Board informed of any address changes. It is the responsibility of the registrant to renew their registration whether a notice has been received or not.

I didn't get my renewal application because my address changed. Do I have to pay the delinquent fee?

Yes, if you did not renew prior to the date the fees are imposed. A licensee or registrant is required by law to notify the Medical Board in writing within 30 days of a change of address.

Why do I have to pay?

California law requires that to maintain an active, current registration, each registrant, including out-of-state registrants, must pay the full biennial renewal fee at the time of registration renewal.

I'm leaving the country. Can I pay my renewal fee ahead of time?

The renewal can only be paid within the 120 days prior to the expiration of the registration.

How much is the renewal fee?

The renewal fee is $150. The renewed registration is valid for two years.

What is the delinquent fee and when do I have to pay it?

In addition to the renewal fee, a $75 delinquent fee will be added if payment is not received within 30 days following the expiration date of the registration.