Research Psychoanalyst and Student Research Psychoanalyst
A Research Psychoanalyst is an individual who has graduated from an approved psychoanalytic institution and is registered with the Board. Additionally, students who are currently enrolled in an approved psychoanalytic institution and are registered with the Medical Board as a Student Research Psychoanalyst, may engage in psychoanalysis under supervision.
A Research Psychoanalyst may engage in psychoanalysis as an adjunct to teaching, training or research. "Adjunct" means that the Research Psychoanalyst may not render psychoanalytic services on a fee-for-service basis for more than an average of one-third of their total professional time including time spent in practice, teaching, training or research. Such teaching, training or research shall be the primary activity of the Research Psychoanalyst. This primary activity may be demonstrated by the following:
- A full-time faculty appointment at the University of California, a state university or college, or an accredited or approved educational institution as defined in Section 94310 (a) and (b), of the Education Code.
- Significant ongoing responsibility for teaching or training as demonstrated by the amount of time devoted to such teaching or training or the number of students trained; or
- A significant research effort demonstrated by publications in professional journals or publication of books.
Students and graduates are not entitled to state or imply that they are licensed to practice psychology, nor may they hold themselves out by any title or description of services incorporating the words: psychological, psychologist, psychology, psychometrists, psychometrics or psychometry.
For a copy of the laws and regulations related to Research Psychoanalysts, click on the links below for the Business and Professions Code and the California Code of Regulations.
Verification of the current registration for Research Psychoanalysts may be obtained online.
For any other information related to Research Psychoanalysts, you may directly contact the Medical Board at:
Medical Board of California
Attn: Research Psychoanalyst Program
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815-5401
- Telephone: (916) 263-2382
- Email: Webmaster@mbc.ca.gov